Yes, there is a hand throttle integrated as part of the left handle bar. The hand throttle is must be deactivated when driving on public roads by using the the “low” or “high” modes. When driving on private roads with the “off road” mode enabled, the throttle is active, and you can drive the trike at up to 60 km/h using only the throttle (you don’t have to pedal).
The VELOKS MMK3 has a center motor drive that uses the rear disc mount on the hub to assist the trike. The advantage of this setup, is that it support:
• Much higher torque transfer to wheel.
• Center motor, which enables lower point of gravity, which again improves stability
• A much stronger motor chain.
• Regeneration of energy and electronic braking.
• The use of all types of internal hub gears and all type of external gear systems.
• Two independent drive systems, motor of the left and human on the right.
The weight of the motor is 4.1 Kg, which is not more that most 250w motors. When driving on public road, use the “low” or “high” mode, and the motor power is limited to max. 250w. This also has the benefit that wear and tear on the motor is reduced dramatically, and it will last longer. When using the trike on private roads, you can use the “offroad” mode and enjoy the full 3000w and 60 km/h top speed.
Yes, the VELOKS MK3 trike is defined as a Pedelec (Pedal Assist). The VELOKS MK3 come with a “EC Declaration of Conformity”, and is EC marked. This means that the VELOKS MK3 trike, is a regular e-bike with a maximum continuous rated power of 250 watt, power by a battery which cuts out at 25 km/h, and which only active when the rider pedals.