There is a hand throttle integrated as part of the left handle bar. The hand throttle is must be deactivated when driving on public roads. When driving off road the throttle can be active, and you can drive the trike at up to 60 km/h using only the throttle (you don’t have to pedal).
The VELOKS MK3 Mid-Motor version has the motor placed in front of the rear wheel, and the motor chain is attached to the rear disc mount on the hub. The advantage of this setup, is that it support:
• Much higher torque transfer to wheel.
• Mid-motor, which enables lower point of gravity, which again improves stability
• A much stronger motor chain.
• Regeneration of energy and electronic braking.
• The use of all types of internal hub gears and all type of external gear systems.
• Two independent drive systems, motor of the left and human on the right.
Yes, the VELOKS MK3 trike is defined as a Pedelec (pedal electric cycle). The VELOKS MK3 come with a “EC Declaration of Conformity”, and is EC marked. This means that the VELOKS MK3 trike, is a regular e-bike with a maximum continuous rated power of 250 watt, power by a battery which cuts out at 25 km/h, and which only active when the rider pedals.
For the “Base” model, all 3 driving modes (Low, Medium & High) are legal and there is no way to exceed the legal limits.
For the “Touring” and “Power” models, the “low” driving mode is legal, but the “Medium” and “High” driving modes should only be used off road or on private roads as these will not be legal in most countries.